Sunday 16 February 2014

Yummy Shevai!

Which Konkani would not like "Tandlachi Pilleli Shevai"? And being a hardcore Konkani, Shevai has been my favorite since childhood :) Memories take me to remember my stay at my mhave's (aunts) place during vacation and she would have prepared for making shevai for the next day breakfast and yet ask me what would I want for breakfast? She knew I would always come up with only one answer that is "Shevai" :)
Even after marriage, my hunger for Shevai has always been fulfilled by my parents and in-laws by either preparing it themselves or getting those from the Mangalore stores. 
Though such a huge fan, I had never tried making it myself, thanks to its tedious procedure :)
I was quite delighted when my father-in-law gave me a very simple recipe for making shevai.
Never done in India, I found the so called mahurat of making Shevai in USA :). So,here comes recipe from my F.I.L for Tandlachi Shevai

Rice Four - 2 Cups
Water - 3 cups
Salt - As per taste
Oil - 2 teaspoon




The above quantity is enough to make 6 bhaatti(set) of Shevai

The quantity of water would be 1 and 1/2 times of the rice flour. We do not use coconut in any form in this recipe.
1. Bring water to boil.
2. Add salt and oil to the water.
3. Once water boils, switch off the gas.
4. Now slowly add rice flour to the water. See to it that no lumps are formed.
5. Place the steamer to preheat it.
6. Once the mixture comes to a dough consistency, it will be a bit sticky,make small balls of the dough and place in the steamer.
7. Steam these balls for apprx 15-20mins.
8. Keep you Shevai maker(daante) ready. Place the steamed rice balls in the maker and make shevai.


Your yummy, easy to make shevai is ready to eat.
Shevai can be relished with spicy rasam or sambaar..but I simpy
love it with coconut oil and appe-middi nonche.. ;)

I did not have Shevai maker so used the Chakli maker with the Shev making blade.
Take care that the Shevai should me made while the rice balls are hot, once they cool down, it becomes very difficult  to make Shevai.


No comments:

Post a Comment